Hit the Nail on the Head with These Common Idioms

June 1, 2018

In the world of PR, we spend 90 percent of our time either writing or talking (for those asking, the other 10 percent is spent guzzling coffee). Often times we use analogies or other colloquialisms to get our point across and unfortunately sometimes those are misused and end up deterring from the point we were trying to make.

Below is a collection of the most commonly misused idioms I’ve heard to date. Drop any others in the comment section and we might get a part 2 out on this topic.

Coming Down the Pike

Misused: Coming down the pipe.

Meaning: Soon to happen or appear (pike is short for turnpike).

Properly used in a sentence: “With the launch quickly coming down the pike, we already have media interest.”

I Couldn’t Care Less (aka my biggest pet peeve)

Misused: I could care less.

Meaning: To not care at all. When misused, this means you still have room to care thus negating your impact.

Properly used in a sentence: “I couldn’t care less that the blogger didn’t get back to us because we secured The New York Times!”

Flesh It Out

Misused: Flush it out

Meaning: To give something substance, make it fuller or more complete. To flush something out means to drive something from a hiding place.

Properly used in a sentence: “The byline needs to be fleshed out before it’s complete.” 

Smoke and Mirrors

Misused: Smoke in mirrors

Meaning: An optical illusion of deception and confusion, used to create believability.

Properly used in a sentence: “At this point, the competitor’s product is just smoke and mirrors.”

– Morgan

Comments are closed.

Let's Work Together

Give us a holler, we'd love to connect.

Latest Tweet